Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Momentary Bliss

The most peculiar thing happened to me this morning. The exact instant I woke up, I had it.

For a split second, I had it.

For a split second, everything made sense.

The well known phrase "Emptiness is form, form is emptiness" (heart sutra) had been on my mind a lot lately. I haven't been trying to make sense of it so much as just becoming familiar with it and the concept, especially the definition of emptiness. The more I get into this, the more I realize that "emptiness" doesn't seem to be the exact right word, but it's the closest we have in our language. It feels as if something is lost in translation, and we use to word emptiness to describe whatever it is, for lack of a better word. It works well enough, especially when you remove the negative connotation emptiness has been associated with in the Western world.

Anyways, when I woke up this morning, it flashed through my thoughts, applied itself perfectly to the concepts of the eight-fold path, and for a split second, everything made sense and the biggest smilespread on my face. I was happy before I even realized why I was happy. I don't think even now I fully realize/understand why I was so happy. It felt like a release.

For a split second.

It died as qucikly as it appeared, probably because my brain, although understanding it, was trying to apply it in a logical fasion, and I lost it.

But it was a cool feeling.

I'm not making any claims to enlightenment, all I'm saying is that today, for the briefest of moments, I understood something better then I had before, and it was nifty.

1 comment:

SlowZen said...

Thanks! Your post reminded me of a similar experience, and produced a smile.

Take care,
Jordan